Some 20 years ago I tried soaking dried beans and they turned out terrible because they never softened up. As a result, I never tried again until recently. My friend Wendy H recently told me that she had found a recipe for cooking beans in the oven and that they turned out much better than the canned version. I had to try this for myself and was so glad that I did. It was very easy and the result is a much tastier bean. It’s definitely worth the effort (which is very little).
|Cooking Dried Beans|| |
- 1 pound dried beans (such as black beans)
- Heat oven to 325°F.
- Place 1 pound (16 ounces) of dried beans in a 3-quart (or larger) Dutch oven or pot with a tight-fitting lid
- Add 2 teaspoons of salt (if desired).
- Add enough water to cover beans by about an inch.
- Cover pot and cook for 75 minutes.
- At this point check beans and stir them. Test one - if tender then remove from oven. If not, put them back in the oven for 15 minute intervals, adding a cup of hot water if they are drying out. They are likely to take 90 to 120 minutes.
- Let cool. Drain and rinse beans in a colander.
Source: Adapted from The Kitchn