I created this salad with many things I love, such as roasted artichoke hearts, sun dried tomatoes, capers, olives and feta cheese, plus some chicken for added protein. I particularly like it because there’s no “filler” such as pasta or rice.
It is my favorite salad for a nice lunch or informal dinner as it’s easy to make as you can prepare it ahead of time. Plus, it’s adaptable as you can change up the ingredients and still have a very tasty salad. Short on time? Use the white meat from two store-bought rotisserie chickens. I like to serve it with a crusty multi-grain baguette and a lovely glass of Rosé wine.
Try this salad for an end of summer picnic. It would also be great for a bridal or baby shower.
|Italian Chicken Salad|| |
- 3 large chicken breasts (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 2 12-ounce bags of frozen artichoke heart quarters, thawed
- 3 ounces of sun dried tomatoes, chopped or sliced
- 3 ounces of capers
- 1 cup of kalamata olives, chopped (about 5 ounces)
- 6 ounces of Feta cheese, crumbled
- Arugula (or other lettuce) for serving
- ¼ cup red-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Poach, bake or grill chicken until done (about 25-30 minutes). When cool, coarsely shred chicken.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Very lightly coat the artichokes and pan with olive oil (you may need two pans). Roast for about 30-40 minutes, tossing them every 10 minutes or so. They should be brown and a bit crispy. Let cool.
- Whisk together all dressing ingredients except oil in a small bowl until combined. Add oil in a slow stream, whisking until emulsified.
- Toss chicken, artichoke hearts and sun dried tomatoes together with ¼ cup dressing in a bowl and let stand 10 minutes to allow flavors to develop. Add capers, olives and Feta cheese and remaining dressing until combined.
- Serve at room temperature on a bed of arugula or other lettuce.
* I prefer the frozen artichoke hearts, but if you can’t find them you can substitute two cans of artichoke heart quarters packed in water (about 14 ounces per can). Drain and dry them as much as possible and the roast according to the directions above.
* Don't have time to cook chicken? Use the white meat from two rotisserie chickens.
* Can be prepared a few hours in advance.
* Extra dressing? Use it on another salad as it's very tasty.