When we’re having just my dad for dinner, we often serve lamb since we know how much he likes it. I often associate lamb with potatoes, mint and peas and decided they would all work well in a potato salad. It seemed the perfect accompaniment to grilled lamb since I could cover all three ingredients in one dish.
You can make this fresh or frozen peas and lots of fresh mint which grows abundantly at this time of year. And, it goes nicely with lamb or any other grilled meat.
|Potato Salad with Peas and Mint|| |
- 1-1/2 pounds Yukon gold or baby red potatoes
- ½ cup fresh or frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- Coarse sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Place potatoes in a steamer insert set over water. Bring water to a boil and cook for about 20 minutes until potatoes are easily pierced with a fork. (Alternately you can cook potatoes in a large saucepan covered in an inch of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer potatoes for about 15 minutes until potatoes are easily pierced with a fork.) Cut cooked potatoes in half.
- Place peas in a small saucepan and cover with an inch of water. Simmer peas until tender, about 4 minutes. Drain peas and reserve ¼ cup of cooking liquid.
- Using a fork, mash peas with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of reserved cooking liquid. Mixture should be thick and chunky - add more cooking liquid if necessary.
- Toss potatoes with pea mixture and chopped mint leaves. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil on top and serve.