The unofficial end to summer may have come and gone but there’s still plenty of time left to grill before it gets too cold. This recipe packs a lot of flavor from its mix of spices paired with both citrus juice and zest. Add to it a bit of honey for some sweetness. The result? Super moist and juicy grilled meat.
Don’t be scared off by the list of ingredients as it’s very likely you already have most of these in your pantry and just need to get a few fresh oranges and lemons. The wonderful thing about this marinade is that it makes pretty much any meat better – chicken, lamb or pork. Or use it to marinate tofu for a tasty vegetarian entrée. And it’s safely gluten-free/wheat-free.
Pair this with Moroccan Carrot Salad for a truly Moroccan-inspired meal.
|Moroccan Spice Marinade|| |
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest (~ 1 orange)
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest (~ 2 lemons)
- 2 tablespoons orange juice (~ 1 orange)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (~ 1 to 2 lemons)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3 pounds of meat (chicken, pork or lamb) or tofu
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Place meat in a bowl or ziplock bag and add marinade.
- Let sit in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight for flavors to develop.
- Drain meat before grilling.
Source: Variation on recipe from Eating Well, July/August, 2014