Summer is nearing the end, but this salad will help you think “summer” just a bit longer. The sweetness of the watermelon works well with the savory feta cheese and spicy arugula. Finish it off with some balsamic vinegar glaze and fresh mint and you’ve got a winner. I served this with some smoked meats (brisket and sausage) and the flavors were great together.
I like to use yellow tomatoes instead of red, as it provides a nice variety of color when paired with the red watermelon. Plus, this salad is a nice “vehicle” for me to showcase the yummy French feta (Valbreso) I found earlier this summer and used in the Orzo Dill Salad (any feta will work). And, thanks to my friend, Lisa K, who introduced me to balsamic vinegar glaze after a trip to Italy.
|Watermelon, Feta and Arugula Salad|| || |
- 1 5-ounce package baby arugula
- 6 cups seedless watermelon, cubed
- 2 yellow tomatoes, cubed
- 7-ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar glaze
- Salt & Pepper
- Arrange arugula over large platter.
- Scatter watermelon, tomatoes and finish with feta and mint.
- Drizzle with balsamic glaze and sprinkle with salt (preferably Fleur de Sel or other coarse salt) and pepper.
- Serve immediately.